5 Ways to Start Reversing Your Type 2 Diabetes Today
The only way to effectively reverse type 2 diabetes (or even pre-diabetes) is to deal with the underlying cause – Insulin Resistance. Trying to address the blood sugar levels (with medication) without addressing the insulin levels is treating the symptoms, not treating the root cause. It is similar to using a bucket to remove water from an overflowing sink rather than actually turning off the tap!
The most important thing to do is to stop adding fuel to the fire. If Insulin Resistance is driving the condition, you need to firstly stop consuming foods that increase insulin production. Secondly, you need to make some lifestyle changes so that you can become sensitive to insulin once again.
1. Consider a form of regular fasting (more to come in a later blog), such as intermittent fasting or time-restricted feeding (TRF). TRF means eating your calories during a specific window of the day, and choosing not to eat food for the rest. It’s a great way to reduce insulin levels in your body and help undo the effects of chronically elevated levels.
2. If you like to snack, keep some high-fat healthy snacks with you, such as olives, nuts or hummus. When you snack on refined carbohydrates such as biscuits, you go on a blood sugar rollercoaster that results in you feeling hungry shortly after. Fats, on the other hand, will keep you fuller for longer. Better still, don’t snack.
3. Do not be scared of good quality, healthy, natural fat – avocados, olives, almonds etc. Don’t worry about this causing you to put on weight. A study published in 2003 showed that people who supplemented their diet with almonds lost more weight than those who supplemented with so-called “healthy, complex carbs”.
4. Avoid ALL refined carbohydrates. That means no pasta, rice or bread (even whole grain bread will spike your insulin)
Avoid ALL added sugar. If your body is already in a state where you cannot process carbohydrates and sugars properly, you are going to have to take steps to fully eliminate all sugars, at least in the short term.
Avoid ALL sweet drinks. It is best to stick to water, tea, and coffee.
5. Start moving. Strength training will help improve your body’s ability to metabolize glycogen, process energy, and improve Mitochondrial function. That’s the powerhouse cell of the body.
Work with ALL of these! Not just one.
Life doesn’t end with diabetes, but it is a wake-up call. Through diet and exercise, you can reverse it. When you begin to think critically and make independent, informed decisions, you become empowered. Take charge of your health!
Need some help to follow the proven method, support, education, and coaching to turn your health and your life around in 8-12 weeks, schedule a Free Breakthrough Call.